Good Math/Bad Math

Friday, March 17, 2006

Friday Random Ten

So what kind of music does a math geek listen to? The operative word in that question is geek.


Fantasia on an Ostinato, John Corigliano

Modern classical music by one of the very finest of modern composers.

wonder, photophob

Strangely interesting electronica from a netlabel.

Sad Today, Moxy Fruvous

Goofy folk rock.

Drakskeppet (the Dragonship), Vasen

traditional Swedish folk from a master of the Nickelharpa.

This Strange Engine, Marillion

Progressive rock by one of my favorite bands.

Ananda Lahari, the Clogs

Brilliant music, but I don't know what to call it. It's not rock, it's
not jazz, it's not classical, but some combination of all of them.

The Stone, the Dave Matthews Band

Ok, so I like jam bands. Sue me.

Me and Sarah Jane, Genesis

Meh. I used to be a huge Genesis fan. These days, any of it after Peter Gabriel left just doesn't grab me anymore.

Sky Blue, Peter Gabriel

Speak of the devil. I didn't pick this, it was my ipod.

Wrong Foot Forwards, Flook

Incredibly energetic Irish traditional music, by a band feature the best tinwhistle player in the known universe. I dare you to listen to a Flook album and not wind up bouncing and dancing.

3 Comments:

  • Now would not a true math geek name Xenakis, Ferneyhough or Babbitt as the finest of modern composers?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:48 PM  

  • I like the random ten. I like the pseudomath smackdowns. Welcome to the blogosphere.

    Although you don't have an RSS feed button on your site, as of this morning, I entered the following into my aggregator and it works fine:

    http://goodmath.blogspot.com/atom.xml

    By Blogger Don Sheffler, at 7:01 PM  

  • Hmm, I'd have expected something more like Mandelbrot Set (Jonathan Coulton) or maybe Finite Simple Group Of Order Two (the Klein Four Group).

    Did I miss any good ones?

    By Blogger Lifewish, at 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home