Good Math/Bad Math

Friday, April 28, 2006

Friday Random Ten 4/28

  1. Spock's Beard, "the Planet's Hum". Another one of those neo-progressive bands I love.
  2. Flook, "On One Beautiful Day". Very cool Irish.
  3. Dream Theater, "Honor thy Father". Neo-progressive/prog metal by a great band.
  4. Philip Glass, "Les Enfants Terrible, Scenes 10/11". Part of an opera by Phil Glass. Magnificent.
  5. Bela Fleck, "Katmandu". The master of the banjo.
  6. David Sylvian and Robert Fripp, "20th Century Dreaming". Fripp and Sylvian did one album together a few years ago. If you like Sylvian's crooning vocal style and Fripps bizzare tonalities, this is great, great stuff.
  7. Trout Fishing in America, "It's a Puzzle". The song with my favorite lyrics of all time: "Is is till it isn't, then it was; was was till it wasn't anymore; maybe might be an is in a second".
  8. Lunasa, "Bolton St/The Millstream/Loophead Lighthouse". The best traditional Irish band that you'll ever hear.
  9. King Crimson, "Dangerous Curves". Highly bizzare and wonderful instrumental by that great band of lunatics, KC.
  10. Kaipa, "Sonic Pearls". Really great neo-progressive from the first band that the founder of the Flower Kings performed with.

7 Comments:

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:21 PM  

  • 22 or 23 years ago I got to see, and meet, King Crimson, Fripp included. Maybe about 5 years later I saw Japan (Sylvian et al) in a small venue. Great stuff.

    By Blogger Don Sheffler, at 11:29 PM  

  • Bela. Very nice.

    My 10 (sort of)

    By Blogger Rev. BigDumbChimp, at 12:54 AM  

  • steve:

    Thanks for the pointer; I just downloaded some Ligeti from Itunes, and I'll given it a listen later today. I still (somewhat guiltily) love some of Glass's work. Some of it is trite, repetitive nonsense; but some of it, especially the operas, is amazing.

    By Blogger MarkCC, at 10:02 AM  

  • don:

    I'm very jealous, although 22 or 23 years ago, I would have been too young to appreciate the experience :-)

    Fripp is an amazing guy; pretty much anyone that he chooses to work with is interesting. I honestly think that I've never heard anything from Fripp or any of his collaborators that I didn't enjoy.

    By Blogger MarkCC, at 10:05 AM  

  • MarkCC,

    Not trying to be snobbish there, Glass is not my cup of tea but that's my taste.

    Ligeti is really rich - a guy with Modernist / Avante Guard roots inspired by more recent composers like Steve Reich, the polyrhythmic complexities of African (particularly Pygmy) music, & mathmatical concepts like strange attractors combined with an incredibly subtle ear for tone color.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:26 PM  

  • steve:

    I didn't mean to suggest that you were being snobbish :-).

    I definitely understand why a lot of people don't like Glass. As I said, he is often very repetitive and even trite. There's a reason why I said I have a bit of guilt about liking Glass.

    I still haven't had a chance to listen to the Ligeti, but now I'm even more anxious to find time; I absolutely love Steven Reich. (Lately, I'm particularly enamoured of the "You are" variations.) "Clapping" is one of the most amazing things I've ever heard - the way that something as trivial as slightly different clapping patterns can turn into something that fascinating is just unbelievable.

    By Blogger MarkCC, at 8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home